Saturday, July 01, 2006

Why Is It??


I thought it was about time to share a recent picture of the kiddos! Unfortunately, sometimes when I look at these sweet kids, I wonder why it is that we pass along the traits about ourselves that we like the least?!? I've noticed that about myself...the traits that I didn't want to get from my parents seem to be the the things I notice about myself! You would think that I would really strive to stop that cycle! Don't get me wrong, my parents are wonderful, godly people, and there aren't any deep, dark things that went on in my childhood that I'm trying not to allow to happen in my house. It's just things like my temper...I don't like that I have a quick, bad temper...and I'm seeing signs of that in my nearly 5 year old daughter. I don't like that I can be a real smarty pants (I think you all know that I'm being polite by saying "smarty pants") and my kids sound as hateful as I do sometimes. I don't like that I yell at times, and I'm seeing that in my children! Those are the things that I didn't want to inherit, and now, I've got 'em...and if I don't really watch out, my kids are going to have them too! I know that there are good qualities about me, too, but I fear that the things that will leave the biggest impressions on my children are the yucky ones! Any advice? Wow...confession is good for the soul, I guess. I'm really hoping that some of you can give some advice, or at least say that you've been down this road.

We're having a great summer...we're spoiled to the grandparent's pools. We've got a busy rest of the summer, and then it'll be time for school to start before we know it! A week from today is Macy's birthday party (her actual birthday is Sunday, 7/9). I am sure I'll post some pics from that. Then, we have VBS at church the 10th-12th. My birthday is on the 14th, and we leave on the 15th for the beach (and I KNOW I'll be posting pics from that)!! I think school starts on August 7th! And, if you haven't already heard, I'll be going to see the American Idol Tour in Birmingham on Aug. 8!!!! WooHoo! I just mainly wanted to fill you in on my upcoming schedule so you'll know why I might not be posting quite as regularly!! I hope you are all having a fantastic summer.

2 comments:

Gena said...

i was just thinking about that same thing with me and my mom...but i do believe there is always that one thing that you just say- the buck stops here- over. I'm not sure how we define that or what makes what that is happen but i think it has something to do with your true lack of desire to carry that on-
it's hard is all i know.

you are a great mom meredith.
and look what cute kids you made ;)

Amy F said...

okay - you asked. i'm EXACTLY the same way. i have this fear of my children feeling about ME (when i'm impatient) the same way that i felt about MY PARENT when he/she was impatient. (no names were used...again, no deep dark secrets.) my biggie that i'm learning? apologize to them and tell them to help you pray about it. my kiddos have this list of people's "problems." they'll say that taylor's is not listening well, mine is impatience, tyler's is pestering his brother, etc. they once said that their grandmother's "problem" was that she had to bathe her 88-year-old mother every day. lol it helps us. they know i RECOGNIZE my impatience/temper/tone and that i'm NOT happy about it and that i'm working on it and need their help/prayers. just a thought. i'm new at this.