Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thankful

Obviously, we've all just been through a week where the focus was on being Thankful. I like to think that as Christians, we don't limit our thanksgiving to one week of the year! I know that when Thanksgiving rolls around, it does make us focus more on the things that we give thanks for. Among the more obvious ones for me: healthy kids, family, friends, church family, health...that list can go on and on. But one thing that I have come to realize lately that is SO important to me, and that I'm SO thankful for, is music.

This might seem strange (to some of you, I know it doesn't, because some of you love music as much as I do). I can't remember a time in my life where music didn't play a huge role. My dad has been a song leader all of my life, and for a large part of my life, was a choral director. I grew up with that. I have a tape of my dad and I singing together when I was 2 years old (we played it at my wedding just before he walked me down the isle). I took piano lessons for 9 years. I sang in chorus from 7th grade until I graduated. I sing on the praise team at church...music is probably about the most consistent thing in my life! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear music, play music, or sing music. Thank God for the gift of song!!!

I have really come to realize lately that music is the way that I communicate best with God. The praise songs that we sing (and that are a constant on my car radio) say exactly what I would like to express to God! Music/song is MY best form of worship...it's not for everyone, and each person has their own personal way that they feel most comfortable worshipping, and mine is speaking to God, and crying out to Him, through song. Sometimes, when I beat myself up for not praying as often as I should, I remind myself that I've been in prayer while I'm listening to or singing these songs to God.

There have been several times when I've posted song lyrics as my post for the day. I have been listening to a CD lately that has several on there that I would like to post at some point, but today, I thought it would be fitting to post one called Gratitude.

Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely You can see that we are thirsty and afraid
But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You with gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain

Daily bread, give us daily bread
Bless our bodies, keep or children fed
Fill our cups, then fill them up again tonight
Wrap us up and warm us through
Tucked away beneath our sturdy roofs
Let us slumber safe from danger's view this time
Or maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You with gratitude
A lesson learned to hunger after You
That a starry sky offers a better view if no roof is overhead
And if we never taste that bread

Oh, the differences that often are between
Everything we want and what we really need

So grant us peace, Jesus, grant us peace
Move our hearts to hear a single beat
Between alibis and enemies tonight
Or maybe not, not today
Peace might be another world away
And if that's the case...

We'll give thanks to You with gratitude
For lessons learned in how to trust in You
That we are blessed beyond what we could ever dream
In abundance or in need
And if You never grant us peace

But Jesus, would You please

5 comments:

Scarlett said...

We ARE so blessed....even when we think things are so awful around us. I'm right there with you on the music thing. I took piano for 8 years....sang my whole life....mom sings and plays piano......dad plays guitar.....etc. etc. It's how I get through the day. How blessed we are to have such a phenomenal art to encourage us and let us give back to God through song!

Cristin Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cristin Claire said...

I agree with the music thing. It has also been a constant in my life with mom and Serenade, piano lessons for 13 years, and chorus for 7 years. I love music and I too feel that the best way for me to worship is through song. Thanks for sharing that song! I always love reading your posts when you write out lyrics. By the way- Meredith has an AMAZING voice for those of you out there that have never heard her sing!

Gena said...

one of the kids in the youth group last night offered music as their thanksgiving (everyone was supposed to say what they were thankful for) i amen with all of you. i love music and as scarlett puts it "it's how i get thru the day" sometimes. thanks for putting your form of worship out there.

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

music is one of my faves avenues of worship, too.thats a beautiful song!